|The Morrow County Historical
Society was officially organized November 10, 1970. The objectives
of the organization are: To preserve the records and artifacts of
Morrow County and to cultivate an appreciation of and interest in its
history. Membership in the Society is open to all persons
interested in the interpretation and preservation of Morrow County
Since 1972 the Society has maintained a museum in the old Pleasant Grove church of Christ building on CR 46, off of SR 19. Signs have been erected on US 42 to direct visitors to the location.
In 1984, the Society undertook the moving and reconstruction of a log house from its original location on SR 19 to the Morrow County Fairgrounds. After many hours of volunteer labor and the perseverance of several members, the house was dedicated on October 9, 1988. The log house is a popular spot on the fairgrounds during the annual Farm Days, the Morrow County Fair and the Gourd Show. Teachers are encouraged to bring classes there for "Pioneer Days".
The Society's ongoing project is the
restoration of one of the oldest houses in Mt. Gilead. Built by
George D. Cross in 1829, the house was the former residence of Judith
Long and was purchased by the Society from her heirs.